One of the biggest things I missed about eating dairy was dill pickle chip dip. I am a stress eater, so after working overtime for the last week, I just wanted chips and dip. Now that I am off dairy completely, I hadn’t found a substitute until now. This alternative is DELICIOUS, and full of healthy fats (enjoy in moderation!). It’s MUCH lower in fat and sodium than its grocery store counterpart. I hope you enjoy this as much as I did. The best part is that you can’t even tell it’s coconut cream! The sour “cream” part of the dip is borrowed from One Green Planet. See the original recipe here.
1 can coconut milk chilled overnight in the fridge (I used full-fat)
1/4 cup non-dairy milk
1/2-1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp olive oil
salt to taste (I used about 1/4 tsp)
5 small pickles or a couple of large ones (add pickles to taste)
- Carefully open your can of coconut milk. Since it has been chilled, you should be able to separate the coconut cream from the coconut water. The water can be saved for smoothies or other recipes if you like. Put the cream into your blender cup (I used my magic bullet).
- Add the non-dairy milk. Blend to smoothen a little, but not much.
- Add the lemon juice, olive oil, and salt. Blend until smooth.
- Taste and see if the sour “cream” is sour enough for you. If not add a SMALL amount more apple cider vinegar. I left mine at about 1/2 tbsp because the pickles add some tang, too.
- Add your pickles to your blender. Blend, then shake or stir to make sure it’s all mixed, and blend a little more.
- If you can wait, let it cool in the fridge for a thicker texture. If you can’t, enjoy!