So I had some friends over and we got bored and wanted something tasty, so I decided to try out the mug cake as a big cake! It actually worked out fairly well! Then, since it was cake, I wanted to try icing. The first icing I tried was a nut puree with cocoa and stevia, but I used walnuts because I didn’t have cashews and it was insanely bitter. DO NOT USE WALNUTS. I ended up going with a cauliflower base, and it turned out really well! I think if I would have had the avocado it would have been even more like icing. Check out the recipes below!
Full-Size Vegan Chocolate Cake with protein powder
1/4 cup chia seeds soaking in 1 cup water for 5-10 mins (or 3 eggs if you eat eggs)
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/2 tbsp melted coconut oil
1 cup vega chocolate protein powder
3/4 cup GF flour – use almond or quinoa flour for extra protein (almond is less fluffy if it’s not finely ground)
2 tbsp cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp GF double acting baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/4 cup non dairy milk
3/4 cup honey/agave or stevia equivalent
Optional: The amount of honey mentioned creates a very mildly sweet flavour. I would suggest adding more if you like it quite sweet. Next time, I am going to try adding 1 tsp stevia along with the honey and see how it turns out. I will let you know!
1. Preheat oven to 350° F
2. In a mixing bowl, combine soaked chia, peanut butter, and melted coconut oil and mix until combined.
2. Mix in protein powder, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
3. Add in milk. Stir until well combined.
4. Pour into oiled 8×8 square cake pan.
5. bake for 45-60 minutes. My oven is an older one, so it took 60 minutes. The tooth pick trick worked on it as well (poke a tooth pick into the centre, if it comes out gooey, it needs more time).
This cake is extremely moist and wonderful, and even has a very natural cake texture!
Vegan, Processed Sugar Free Icing!
2 cups steamed cauliflower
1/4 cup coconut oil
1 tbsp cocoa powder
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
Optional: 1/2 avocado to make it creamy. I didn’t have an avocado in the house and it turned out fine.
1. Mash or blend the cauliflower (I used a hand mixer).
2. Add the coconut oil, cocoa powder, and maple syrup.
3. Mix or blend with the hand mixer until smooth.
4. Allow to cool, then use to ice your cake!
Check out the original icing recipe here.